Just as it sounds, a runny nose is a highly unpleasant experience. Also known as rhinorrhea, runny nose is a symptom of common cold or some other type of allergy. Allergens, such as dust or pollen can cause a runny nose. Plus, any change in the climate can also result in a runny nose, particularly in very cold and dry seasons when the nose starts running due to production of mucus. It is characterized by a clear and thin, or thick and light green or yellowish discharge of mucus from the nose. This is often accompanied by bacterial infections, colds and flu, hay fever, allergens, or sinusitis. Though it does not cause any harm to the body, but it surely is annoying and horrible. Nonetheless, it can be cured and treated with the help of some natural home remedies. Not only are they effective, but they are relatively inexpensive also. Further, unlike over-the-counter medications, herbal treatments do not bring any side effects. In the following lines, find home remedies for curing runny nose.
Home Remedies For Runny Nose
- Dilute two tablespoons of lemon juice in a glass of warm water. This is one of the most effective and useful cures for runny nose. Consume this solution 1-2 times a day and repeat until the runny nose symptoms fade out. The citric acid present in lemon is very effective for curing runny nose and improving the body’s immunity.
- Prepare a honey lime mixture by warming a cup of water. Dilute 1 tablespoon honey and 3-4 drops fresh lime juice in the water. Drink the solution while it is still warm. Honey will help in relieving the runny nose as well as cough, if one has it.
- Garlic is another great remedy for curing runny nose. It has been loaded with medicinal, antiseptic, antispasmodic, and anti-bacterial properties. Boil one cup of water in a pan and add 3-4 finely chopped garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon onion juice, and a pinch of salt. Cook thoroughly and consume at least twice a day for clearing the respiratory passage and stopping runny nose.
- Do not be surprised to read that lady fingers have also been tested positively for treating runny nose. They contain mucilage that alleviates swelling and irritation in the throat. Prepare a concoction by boiling 100 grams chopped lady fingers in 2-3 cups of water for about 5-7 minutes. Consume twice a day until the symptoms subside.
- Prepare a decoction of ginger and see your runny nose reducing instantly. Add some ginger and 1 teaspoon sugar to boiling water. Consume this solution 2-3 times everyday. You can also add finely cut ginger to your morning tea.
- If your baby/child has been infected with a runny nose, use turmeric to treat it straight away. Heat a little less than a teaspoon of turmeric in a spoon over fire for a minute or two and dilute it in hot milk. Let your child drink it. This should be given 2-3 times a day, especially in the morning and before going to bed. The smoke from the burning turmeric will clear the congested nose.
- Prepare an herbal tea by adding 1 tsp each of elder berry, fresh mint, yarrow root, and cayenne pepper to a cup of hot water. You will find your nose running immediately but will be relieved off after a couple of hours.
- Boil a glass of water and dilute two tablespoons of salt. Breathe the steam to clear nasal congestion and remove the mucus.
- Squeeze out fresh juice from aloe vera and insert 5 drops in each nostril after every 2 hours.
- Mix equal amounts of fresh carrot juice and vegetable oil. Stir in a few drops of garlic juice. Instill 5 drops into each nostril 3-4 times every day.
With these simple and effective home remedies, you can cure your runny nose in a couple of days. Hope, they help you in smelling that delicious food and enjoy the different odors around you.