Moles can really be a big eyesore. Forget that they are harmless; if they are located in any visible area of your body, then your self esteem can take a nosedive also. The scariest moles are the facial ones. While a tiny mole located on the upper lip can add to your looks, a mean looking, big black one can cause an instant murder of your appearance. Almost everyone has a few moles on their bodies. One may be born with moles or develop them overtime. Moles are generally formed due to repeated exposure to the sun and sometimes the dark spots that you perceive as moles can be cancerous growths also. So, if the mole starts itching and bleeding then you should immediately consult a doctor. For women, moles in the hands and legs tend look like blemishes while for guys, though not much of a problem, a facial mole always carries the risk of getting nicked while shaving. So, sometimes it may become very necessary to remove a mole, either for the sake of looks or for comfort. Given below are various ways in which you can do so.
Different Methods of Removing a Mole
- In Cryotherapy, liquid nitrogen is used to freeze the mole. Due to the freezing, the skin cells die and the mole falls off. Sometimes, some other freezing substances are also used.
- Using a cotton swab or a spray applicator, the freezing substance is first applied on the mole. The mole then begins to freeze and slowly turns white. You may also experience blistering and redness. You may also expect mild pain due to the extreme temperature used on the skin.
- After the mole falls off, it doesn’t take more than a few weeks for the wound to heal. You also shouldn’t be much concerned with long term scarring. However, there may remain a light or dark spot where the mole used to be.
- Undergo Cryotherapy only as per your doctor’s advice as not all moles are fit for this treatment. Those who have large moles or moles that penetrate deep into the skin should go for other types of treatment.
There are three types of surgeries used for mole removal.
- The first type is the typical surgical procedure where the mole is cut out using a scalpel and the skin is then stitched.
- The second type is electro-surgery. This surgery depends on how deep the mole is. In this procedure, the mole is cut or scraped till just below the skin’s surface. Then an electric current is used to burn away the rest of the mole. It can lead to permanent scarring.
- The third type is laser surgery. In this procedure, a laser light is directed at the mole which burns the skin tissue and seals the blood vessel. However, since the laser light cannot penetrate deep into the skin, it is ineffective for deep set moles. Laser surgery is the least painful of all surgical procedures and also offers a much lesser risk of permanent scarring as compared to other surgeries.
Home Remedies for Mole Removal
- Apply chickweed directly on the mole repeatedly until it is gone. You can either use chickweed liquid extract, or in dried form which can be crushed into powder and then applied.
- At least three to four times a day, apply castor oil directly on the mole. Do this every day until the mole disappears.
- Apply tea tree oil, at least few times a day, directly on the mole until it is gone. Do not dilute the oil while applying.
- Milkweed liquid extract is also quite effective in removing moles. Apply it once a day on the mole until it disappears.
- You can also apply dandelion root extract several times every day until the mole disappears.
Fruits and Vegetables
- Grind fresh garlic into a paste and apply it on the mole. Apply this several times a day and continue applying until the mole disappears. You can also gently crush one clove of fresh garlic and place it on top of the mole and cover it with a bandage. Make sure to replace the garlic and bandage every day.
- Honey can also be quite effective in removing moles. Apply a little amount of honey on the mole several times a day until the mole is gone.
- Fresh pineapple juice applied on the mole several times a day also has a great effect in removing moles. Apply it several times a day.
- The juice of sour apples can also be applied on the mole with the same effect.
- Take a ripe walnut and break it open. Extract the liquid from inside the shell and apply it on the mole every day until it is gone.
- Some fruits and vegetables like grapefruits, potatoes, cauliflower and onion can also be used to remove moles. The fruits and vegetable are effective because of their acidic nature.
Mix two parts of baking soda in one part of apple cider vinegar or castor oil. Mix the two ingredients together to form a paste. Apply this paste on the mole. Leave it for several hours and wash it with warm, soapy water. Apply the paste once every day.
White chalk is also an excellent home remedy against mole. It is also the simplest. Simply grind a white chalk into powder and rub it on the mole. Do this several times a day until the mole disappears.
Ground two to three tablespoon of flaxseed to make a fine powder and add one teaspoon of honey and mix together to form a paste. Apply a little bit of the paste on the mole at least three times a day. Apply this everyday for a few weeks for the mole to disappear.
- Before using home remedies, consult your dermatologist to find out if the mole needs surgical treatment. If the doctor says that it doesn’t require surgery then you can safely try home remedies.
- When using home remedies, you should be extremely patient. It takes time for the ingredients to take effect. Don’t mix the ingredients thinking that it will speed up the process. Also, never cut and scrape the mole as it can lead to infection.
- There are also many mole removal products that you can use. But for this, you need to do a thorough research on which products could work best for you.
One of the most important reasons why moles must be removed is because they can sometimes turn out to be cancerous growths. Even if they are not cancerous, moles can be irritating skin blemishes that should be done away with. Before removing moles, it is better to take the advice of your doctor. So, arm yourself with the suggestions given in this article and make your mole a thing of the past.