Head lice are one of the most common parasites of the human body. Lice are those tiny bug like creatures that reside on your head and feed on your blood. Naturally, this can prove to be quite uncomfortable, not to mention a wee bit disgusting. These pests have an amazing ability to spread from one person to another. If one louse manages to capture your head, then their rapid breeding ability will soon turn your hair into a lice colony. You will know if you have lice swarming on your head if you find yourself constantly scratching your top. Sometimes you may even find rashes and can also feel these tiny creatures walking in your hair. It is very important that you try every way to get rid of head lice as they can spread very quickly and can contaminate every member of your family or anyone you come in touch with. The extreme and best remedy to get rid of head lice is to go completely bald. However, this is not possible for most people. The second best option is to use home remedies to eliminate these bugs. Home remedies are easy and effective and they do not have any adverse effect on your hair too. Continue reading to know more on what those home remedies are.
Head Lice Home Remedies
- Take six tablespoons of water in a bowl. Add two tablespoons of vinegar and mix. Now, apply this solution on your entire scalp before going to sleep and cover your head with a cloth. Leave it overnight and in the morning rinse your head with warm water to wash the lice away.
- Take an apple and chop it into fine pieces. Then massage the slices on the scalp for at least 30 minutes and then wash the hair. Apple is an effective remedy to eliminate head lice.
- Grind a piece of garlic and to it squeeze the juice of one lemon. Apply this on the scalp like a mask and leave it overnight. Wash your hair in the morning. The garlic and lemon juice will kill the head lice and keep your head clean and free of dirt.
- Mix a small amount of coconut oil to camphor and apply it on your scalp every night before going to bed. In the morning, wash your hair.
- Mix together two egg yolks and two to three tablespoons of vinegar and lemon juice. Apply this mixture on the scalp and leave it on for 25 to 30 minutes. Then wash your hair with warm water.
- A very effective solution is to mix all the best remedies of head lice like vinegar, lemon juice and garlic. In a bowl, take three to four tablespoons of vinegar and add two tablespoons of lemon juice to it. Grind a large piece of garlic and add it to the solution. Mix thoroughly, apply it on the scalp, and leave it to set for two hours. Then wash off. Applying this home remedy three to four times a month will keep your head free of lice.
- Olive oil can also be used to kill head lice. Just apply olive oil thoroughly on your head and cover it with a plastic bag. It is best to do before you go to sleep, as you have to keep the oil for about six to eight hours. In the morning, comb your hair to remove the lice. Apply olive oil every ten days and you will completely eliminate head lice.
- Soak ten to twelve almonds in water and then grind them in a blender. Add three to four tablespoons of lemon juice to it to make a paste. Apply this paste on your scalp like a mask and leave it on for two hours after which wash your hair with cold water.
- Neem leaves are very often used to kill a variety of insects and pests. They can also be used to kill head lice. Take some neem leaves and grind them in a little bit of water to make a paste. Apply this on your scalp and leave it to dry. When the paste is dry, wash your hair. For best results, apply neem leaves at least twice a week.
- Take thirty to forty basil leaves and grind them to form a paste. Then make another paste using thirty to forty margosa leaves and mix the two pastes together. Apply this mixture on your scalp and leave it for half an hour to dry. Then wash your hair thoroughly. Apply this remedy two to three times a week to get rid of head lice.
- Grind a custard apple along with its seeds to make a fine paste. Just before going to sleep, apply the paste on your entire head and cover it with a plastic bag. Keep it overnight and in the next morning wash your hair with a shampoo.
- Tea tree oil is also quite an effective remedy against head lice. Apply tea tree oil on your head before going to bed and on the next morning wash your hair thoroughly.